Chuck's Blog April, 2014

The first quarter of 2014 is in the record books and we're still in a holding pattern waiting for the spring market to kick in. Sales of single family homes are down 10% year to date although just 4% month over month. The average price of a single family home rose 3% year over to $290,389.00. Total sales over all market segments are down just 7% year to date but again, unseasonably cold weather seems to be stalling the launch of the spring market here. All in all our local market is very stable and brisk sales in Calgary may be an indicator that once the spring market does hit, we could be in for a very exciting year.


Bathroom upgrades using overlays

If you're considering a bathroom update, you're probably familiar with the typical approaches, such as replacing a countertop or toilet, or removing all the fixtures and finishes to complete a floor-to-ceiling renovation.


However, there is another, far less expensive way to make an older bathroom look brand new: using overlays. An overlay is simply a new surface applied over an existing one. For example, instead of replacing an old and worn bathtub – which is costly – you can purchase an overlay system (called a tub liner) that fits on top of the existing bathtub. It's a little like giving your tub a facelift! You can do the same thing with your bathroom countertops and floors.


Overlays come in a wide variety of styles and finishes – some of which can make your bathroom look significantly more upscale. Compared to a major renovation, the installation of overlays is relatively straightforward. A tub liner installation, for example, can be done in a day. You can learn more about overlays at your local home improvement centre and at specialty


"One man cannot make a Team" - Kareem Abdul Jabar.


The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS®, and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are member’s of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.